What Is Compression Therapy?
Compression therapy is an effective method of applying controlled pressure to the body to increase blood flow. This therapy also amplifies lymphatic functions and supports the venous system. Thanks to modern technology, compression therapy today is a powerful tool that utilizes air to mobilize fluid in the body and improve circulation.
Socks and stockings are one means, but not the only, of compression therapy. Thanks to advanced technology, we can use modern and effective methods to deliver dynamic pressure with air. One of the pros to using air technology for this therapy is controlling the air levels and thus administering different degrees of treatment.
This method is a great tool to enhance athletic performance and alleviate post-exercise soreness. Additionally, it can also help reduce the risk of blood clots.
How Does Compression Therapy Work?
This therapy works by applying pressure to areas of the body with restricted blood flow. By adding pressure to contracting areas, the veins in the limbs have a chance to open and loosen. The loosening then decreases venous pressure and reduces swelling. Less swelling means increased blood flow to the heart.
When the body has poor circulation, this causes the blood vessels and arteries to constrict, making it hard for blood to flow freely. Blood flow is what our bodies need to achieve “lymphatic flush.” Other ways compression therapy can help you:
- Improved blood flow and circulation
- Reduced recovery time after workouts
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
- Decrease in muscle pain or discomfort
- More relaxed nervous system
- Improved range of motion
- Prevention of post-workout soreness
Who Can Benefit From Compression Therapy?
Anyone who wants to enhance their wellness and increase circulation for better functioning can benefit from this kind of therapy. Anyone who lives a sedentary lifestyle or spends long periods sitting due to work or travel can benefit tremendously. You don’t have to wait to see substantial vein issues before taking advantage of compression therapy. Remember, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Pregnant women who experience aches, swelling, and pains from the extra weight are also great suitors.
Athletes, in particular, of any fitness level or background, can benefit from compression therapy by aiding their recovery. Compression can help ease the discomforts after vigorous training. When you have vital oxygen and nutrient supplies, the cells in your body become supercharged. This is the key to elite athletic performance and minimal recovery time with less pain and soreness.
There is evidence in the current research that confirms compression therapy promotes circulation. Better circulation leads to a more efficient oxygen supply for the body’s tissues. Compression boots aid in reducing inflammation and trauma to muscles from training. With compression boots, you can enjoy the benefits of faster recovery and reduced risk of injury that are commonly seen with heavy exercise. Another remarkable feat of compression and massage therapy is preventing or drastically reducing delayed onset muscle soreness. By using massage or compression therapy shortly after exercise, you can streamline metabolic waste efficiently and increase circulation.
Conditions That Respond Well to Compression Therapy
- Inadequate Veins – when blood does not flow efficiently back to your heart, it becomes pooled in the legs and veins instead. Our therapy can help promote healthier veins.
- Wound recovery – with pooled blood, varicose veins can develop. This will cause a pressure build-up and eventually force the veins into the surrounding tissue. The result can range from skin damage to ulcers.
- Edema or swelling – due to the controlled pressure ability, this therapy is a more practical approach to treating edema than traditional compression stockings.
- Leg injuries and surgery – both can increase your odds of developing blood clots. Blood clots are particularly dangerous because they can spread to your lungs. If that happens, it can be life-threatening.
- Diabetes – This therapy can help with diabetic foot conditions and speed up the healing of diabetic wounds.
- Prolonged bed rest – anyone who has recently gone through a long period of inactivity due to injury, illness, pregnancy, or paralysis will benefit significantly.
- Excess weight gain – carrying extra weight is hard on the body. Your legs, feet, and circulatory system can especially take a toll. Our therapy can help soothe discomfort and also reduce the risk of blood clots.
How Often Should You Do Compression Therapy?
All it takes is one session to feel great. But like all forms of therapy, consistency and repetition will yield the most incredible benefits. Healthy individuals can generally use compression therapy as often as 4-6 times a week. This kind of therapy can be remarkably fortifying after extreme workouts, even more so after longer and higher intensity events like marathons, triathlons, or other formidable athletic events. However compression is also suitable for the everyday individual or “weekend warrior” who are looking to add a boost to their overall health and wellness.
Does Compression Promote Healing?
Yes. Here are some of the supercharging health benefits of compression therapy:
- Can substantially reduce the healing time of chronic wounds
- It helps minimize general pain
- Reduces swelling and inflammation
- Speeds up muscle recuperation
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Greater range of motion and flexibility
- Decreased muscle fatigue
- Increased circulation and blood flow to the heart
- Improved quality of life
- Delay or prevent long-term conditions related to venous insufficiency
- Can reverse the effects of venous hypertension
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Can minimize and reverse skin blemishes skin damage from vein problems
- Reduces the risk of blood clots
- It helps manage varicose veins
- It enables the healing of venous ulcers
Enhanced Wellness Compression Therapy Services
Compression therapy can assist you in achieving enhanced wellness. Our compression therapy service offers a relaxing treatment and will apply controlled, dynamic pressure to the extremities like the arms, legs, and hips.
Book your appointment for Compression Therapy at Enhanced Wellness today if you are ready to:
- Fine-tune your body’s lymphatic function, circulation, and blood flow
- Reduce muscle aches and pain
- Progress flexibility and mobility
- Revamp your vascular age
- Boosts metabolic performance
All in under an hour! The best investment you can make is in yourself and your health. Call us today to book your appointment.